Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

I Drank the Kool-Aid

So…I kind of got a Mac.

Well, by "kind of" I mean "I'm typing on it right now." 

I figured it would come in on Thursday, but I came back from getting two cavities filled and found it sitting on my porch. Of course, I couldn't actually start playing with it until tonight, when I finished up work, but so far…I really like it. It's the 13-inch MBP from October 2011 - small enough for portability, but not as terrifyingly light as the Air, which I'm pretty sure I'd destroy in a heartbeat.

What prompted this conversion? My desktop came back from HP.

It was still broken.

I sent it right back to Indiana, where it can stay for all I care.

After that, the laptop I've been using overheated after using Skype. It has never been very good at handling video, but I guess the workload was just getting to be too much for it. I shut it down before anything catastrophic happened, but I talked to my boss, and one thing led to another, and...

And here I am with this MBP.

I used an iMac at the magazine gig years ago, so I know my way around the OS, but it's taking a little bit of time to get used to things. I keep hitting Windows commands (Like CTL A for select all, etc) which fortunately doesn't lead to catastrophe. I did just remember that Command-I makes things italic, so I think it's starting to come back. My new version of Office will be in on Thursday or Friday, so I haven't really transferred anything over. Just set up my email and plugged in my iPod.

Speaking of, where the hell are the speakers on this thing? Buried in the keyboard somewhere? Pretty solid sound for such a small beast. I plugged in my regular desktop speakers and everything sounds good.

Wait. iTunes has a visualization?

I've used iTunes for years and never realized it had visualization mode.

The mind, it is blown.

The big draw here, though, was not the computer (nice as it is). I was more interested in the ability to take it to the Mac Store when something goes wrong. I guess I'm past the age where tinkering with computers is something I want to do. The desktop was a work machine; this will be a work machine, too. For those who are curious, the "Vegas gig" I used to mention (I was a copy editor) blossomed into a managing editor to position for me. It's remote, but it's pretty much full-time work (although I work in spurts throughout the day), and we communicate via email, Skype, chat, etc. Thus the computer I use needs to function, and it needs to be able to handle all that stuff, along with video and photo editing, which I'm now sticking a toe into. 

Still missing my delete key. I'm sure I'll get over it.

I also had no idea you could get apps for Macs.  If I so chose, I could play Angry Birds right now (I won't, because I have it on my phone, but I COULD). 

So I guess I am a Mac. Let's hope this thing holds up better than my last couple PCs.

Folks are setting off the fireworks early this year. I'm pretending they're celebrating my good fortune. ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment